“Rice is sauteed with onion and green bell pepper, and then simmered with water, chopped tomatoes and spices.”
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender.
- Stir in water and tomatoes. Season with chili powder and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.