– 30g butter
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
– 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 300g cup mushrooms, chopped
– 1 tablespoon dry sherry
– 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
– 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
– 1/3 cup loosely packed chopped fresh continental parsley
– Salt & freshly ground black pepper
– 1 (about 30cm) baguette (French stick), thinly sliced crossways
– 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
1. Heat butter and oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
2. Increase heat to high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until tender. Add the sherry and thyme and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
3. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Add cream cheese and parsley and process until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1-2 hours to set.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C. Brush bread slices with a little of the olive oil and place on a baking tray. Cook in oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Serve pate with toasted baguette.